Saturday, October 30, 2010

Feelings...

No, I'm not going to burst into song. I said I'm not! You can uncover your ears.

Anyway, Monday I went out in service like I usually do. It was a nice day until the wind started whipping my skirt up over my head & smacking my fellow pioneers in the face. So at 3 p.m. I went home. Allergies had moved into my nose & were making me miserable. I sat on our couch with my sister & mom. We watched the news & an episode of AFV (America's Funniest Home Videos) & then I asked my mom if she could drive me to Walgreens to get my medicine. So she did...

Being forever grateful at this service, I offered to buy some wings at Pizza Hut for dinner. It took forever. Finally we got the wings & started eating. We finished & went home. I unlocked our front door & stepped into the living room area. *Crunch* I stepped on what felt like glass on our new laminate wood flooring! =O So I rushed to the kitchen to turn on the light... *Crunch, crunch, crunch* When I had the light on I was faced with a floor full of safety glass from our sliding glass door. I stood there in shock & then said: "Oh My Goodness!" & then my mom came in and said: "Get back to the car, NOW!"

We ran back to the car & told my sister to get back in. We pulled out of the driveway as my mom was calling 911 (emergency # in the USA). She told the dispatcher what we saw & they sent out three police cars. No sirens or lights. They came up to the car & told us to stay put while they checked out the scene. So we did. I whipped out my phone & started tweeting & posting to Facebook the latest info as it became available. The cops came back out & said they needed to take photos of the crime scene & they would come get us for a walk through in a bit.

We had CSI going on in our kitchen! Woot! Oh, wait... This is scary!

They came back out & had us follow them in for the walk through. Everything looked to be okay except for the broken glass door in the kitchen. So as the police were taking down info, I started cleaning up the glass on the floor in the living room. I got a box to put the shards & pebbles of safety glass in. I needed my knife to open the box, so I went to my room for my pocket knife...

It wasn't where I had left it on my desk. So I looked around for it & couldn't find it. By now the realization was hitting me. The creeps were in MY room, the roamed through MY house, they saw, MY underwear!!! (I had two piles of laundry in my room, one clean, & one that needed washed) I was getting mad now & I couldn't find my bloomin' knife! I went to sit down & I noticed my German Watchtower & Awakes were scattered across my desk..??? I stared at them until I realized... Hey! My laptop is gone!!! So I went in the living room & blurted out to the police that the thieves took my laptop & my pocket knife!

Anyway, the police finally left, assuring us they would be patrolling the area closely. That made us feel a little better, but my sister didn't want to sleep in her room alone & quite frankly, neither did I. So I moved her mattress into my room & I put my wooden baseball bat next to my bed. Then I went back to the kitchen to start cleaning up the mess. My mom called our service group overseer to let him know what happened. He said he would be there in about a half hour. He was on the road going home from a business trip. He told my mom to go to Lowe's or Home Depot to get some plywood & he would cover up the broken door as soon as he got back into town.

My mom went & got my dad from work & they went to get the plywood & a shop vac to clean up the glass because we discovered that glass is HEAVY! So I just swept up the glass in the living room & then my sister & I sat in my room huddled together & we both jumped in the air when the phone rang. It was the brother's wife calling to check on us & to let us know that her hubby would be there in a little bit. *sigh of relief* Elders truly are a heavy crag in an exhausted land! (Isa. 32:1, 2)

So, our door got covered, the glass got cleaned, my mom discovered her digital camera was taken too, we all got hugged & then we had our first night in our house after the break in. I patrolled the house every hour with my bat raised & ready for "business". I didn't really sleep until first light on Tuesday & than I slept until 12! =O I was so tense & sore when I got up. So was my family.

We are gradually getting back to our routine & I hope sleep will get better too. Meanwhile, I have to search the net for a comparable laptop so the insurance can replace it for me. Yay! Fun!
*insert sarcasm here*

So, back to Feelings... No, I'm still not going to sing...

We all feel as if we have been violated. Our personal things were sifted through & our home invaded. I am really at a loss as to what to feel besides anger & a creepy scared feeling. We talked about it & we all were relieved that none of us were home when this happened & we agreed that stuff can be replaced, lives can not. We are grateful to be alive & serving Jehovah! :o)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mal,
    I am so sorry you and your family have had to go through this experience! It is such a violation to have strangers-not to mention criminals-in your home uninvited.

    This happened to my family when I still lived at home with my brother and parents, before I got married. They used my Mom's underwear to touch everything so as not to get fingerprints on things. They also ripped apart our furniture and belongings with knives.

    More than the stolen property it was hard to deal with cleaning things up and knowing they had seen and gone through our intimate things, pictures etc...It kind of takes away that sort of natural faith we have that we are relatively safe in our locked homes doesn't it?!?

    I'm so glad your elder was able to help you and provide comfort. I hope you get a great new laptop and can feel more secure in the coming months. Looking forward to when we don't have to worry about things like this!

    Hugs! Your friend,
    Shine (goingswimmingly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry what happened to you Mal.
    It must be really scary to know someone has been through your stuff. I'm just happy everyone is Ok, and things can be replaced.
    I hope you can feel safe again very soon.

    ReplyDelete